Open Work Permits

The holder of an open work permit is at will to join any employer and work for any organization. It doesn’t require a job offer which means you can get suitable work after arriving in Canada. If your spouse or common-law partner holds a work permit of at least six months, is employed in a National
Occupation Classification 0, A or B skill job level and currently resides or intends to reside in Canada then you are eligible to get an open work permit.

Foreign students or Canadian students who have recently graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution can also get for their spouses or common-law partners an open work permit provided they meet the requirements. The open work permit thus obtained will expire at the same date the work permit of the spouse or the partner is set to expire.